Population: 8, 185, 867 (Resource: 2012 U.S. Census)
Significant Cities: Virginia Seashore, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Richmond, Newport News, Alexandria
Borders: New York, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, Washington D.C., Atlantic Ocean
Gross Domestic item (GDP): $445, 876 million (2012 U.S. Department of Commerce)
Agriculture including tomatoes, soybeans, peanuts, tobacco, and hay
Computer chips, communications technology, armed forces, information facilities, lumber, and also the government
Just how Virginia got its title: The name Virginia arises from Queen Elizabeth we, who was referred to as Virgin Queen.
Visit chart for larger view
Virginia State SymbolsState Nickname: Old Dominion
State Slogan: Virginia is actually for Fans
State Motto: Sic semper tyrannis (therefore constantly to tyrants)
State rose: US Dogwood
State bird: Cardinal
State seafood: Brook trout
State tree: United States Dogwood
State mammal: United States Foxhound
State meals: Ham
Becoming a StateDate admitted: Wednesday, June 25, 1788
Number admitted: 10
Prior Name: Virginia Colony, then sovereign condition in Confederation
Postal Abbreviation: VA
The Geography of VirginiaComplete Size: 39, 594 sq. miles (supply: 2003 Census)
Geographical Minimal Aim: Atlantic Ocean at Sea Level (source: U.S. Geological Research)
Geographical High Point: Mt. Rogers at 5, 729 feet, located in the county/subdivision of Grayson-Smyth (source: U.S. Geological research)
Central Point: Positioned In Buckingham County approx. 5 kilometers southwest of Buckingham (origin: U.S. Geological research)
Counties: 95 (origin: National Association of Counties)
Bodies of Liquid: Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, James River, Rappahannock River, Buggs Island Lake, Philphott Lake, Lake Anna, Smith Mountain Lake
- Arthur Ashe - Tennis player
- Sandra Bullock - Celebrity
- Katie Couric - Talk show number
- Gabby Douglas - Gymnast
- Ella Fitzgerald - Singer
- Rob Lowe - Actor
- Dred Scot - Slave and civil-rights activist
- Lawrence Taylor - Professional baseball player
- Virginia is named after Queen Elizabeth I of The united kingdomt who was known as the Virgin Queen.
- This condition is the birthplace of 8 United States presidents, over any state. These are generally George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson. This can include seven regarding the first 12 presidents.
- It is often known as the 'mother of says' as portions associated with the initial colony are now part of 6 various states.
- Virginia seashore is the most populous town.
- The initial English settlement in the us had been Jamestown.
- Richmond was money regarding the Confederate States during the Civil War.
- Virginia had been a battleground during the Civil War. Over fifty percent the battles had been fought on Virginia soil.
- You can visit both George Washington's house (Mount Vernon) and Thomas Jefferson's residence (Monticello) in Virginia.
- Hawaii track is 'Carry me personally to Old Virginia'.
- Their state fossil, Chesapecten jeffersonius, had been known as for the Chesapeake Bay and Thomas Jefferson.