The home integrated 1832 by German descendant Adolph Dill, includes both Federal and Greek Revival architectural designs. Underneath the management of Maggie L. Walker, the country’s first feminine and Black lender president, the Council of coloured Females purchased the house in 1922. In 1932 it became the Ebony part regarding the Richmond Public collection and had been known as for Rosa D. Bowser, the initial Ebony feminine school teacher in Richmond.
The Museum seeks to be a permanent repository for visual, oral and written files and items commemorating the resides and successes of Blacks in Virginia. Our goal is always to become a statewide resource from the many issues with black colored history through events, conversations and festivities.
The Museum collects papers, limited versions, prints, art and pictures for usage in its Black background Archives system. The program will undoubtedly be of major importance because of the scarcity of written files regarding the Black knowledge.Jackson Ward